|Art and Motion (Dec. 2012)
Summary Statement: The Art and Motion Project is linked to enrollment in art (with Mrs. Nickle) or dance class (with Mrs. Blunt). Participation in the culminating recital is based on enrollment. This project is open to all grade levels and is a non-competitive, encore/academic activity. Interested students should see Mrs. Nickle or Mrs. Blunt.
NBMS is STEAM powered! STEAM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics. The Art and Motion Project is tied to several of the STEAM components. By exploring the art and science of movement and artistic expression, participating students spend one semester (fall) preparing for a culminating activity, a night recital/showcase (Art and Motion Night).
NBMS 6th, 7th, and 8th Graders enrolled in art or dance class during the fall semester.
Goals of the Project
To educate the minds, bodies, and souls and to enable students to discover….
- the joy of movement and artistic expression
- feelings of accomplishment and success in art and dance
- their own creative abilities
- a sense of cooperation and team effort
- an appreciation for various dance styles and art
Through the project we strive to help dance students develop….
- dance skills, proper dance technique and terminology
- musical and rhythmic awareness
- graceful coordination, balance and control of movements
- strength, flexibility, body awareness
- an understanding of the structure and discipline of dance
- self-respect and self-discipline
- consideration for and appreciation of others
Through the project we strive to help art students develop….
- familiarity with a variety of art media and processes
- a variety artworks to express ideas and feelings
- proficiency in terminology and techniques related to areas of art
- the ability to understand and use the elements and principles of art
- a capacity for aesthetic response
- an understanding of comparing, interpreting and evaluating art of self, other students and major artists
While students in all grade levels participate throughout the fall semester, the culminating event is an Art and Dance Night. Typically held in December or January, Art and Motion Night creates a welcoming family environment in which students showcase their talent and audience members are given an opportunity to appreciate student art and motion. The Art and Dance Showcase will be held on December 18, 2012. Watch the video from the 2011-12 night below.
On Dec. 15, 2011, Mrs. Blunt and Mrs. Nickle organized an "Art and Motion" Night. The following clip was put together by a student. It captures a few moments of the dance component of the night