The 2012 Civic Oration (school level) competition was held on Thursday, March 15, 2012. "A time when volunteers made a difference" was the topic for the School Speech Contest. In their speeches, students presented a time in American history when individuals banded together to improve the quality of life. The participants selected a volunteer project or volunteer-driven movement and discussed it in their speeches.
In organizing their speeches, students considered these questions:
- What is a volunteer project or movement that has made a tremendous impact? (Consider both small-scale, community-driven efforts and large national efforts.)
- Who was responsible for leading and/or carrying out the volunteer effort? (Consider projects led by one or many people.)
- How has this volunteer effort positively impacted one or more people? And how does it continue to improve quality of life for people? (Consider the lasting impact).
After deliberating, the judges made the following selections:
- Bradley Bizzel- 1st Place (6th grade)
- Allison Ingraham- 2nd Place (6th grade)
- Khira Robinson- 3rd Place (6th grade)
- William Alfonso
- Maddox Bulris
- Bethany Davis
- Davis Long
- Ayomide Ojebuobo
- Christian Rivera
- Grace Saunders
- Jordan Sullivan
- Diana Williams
Bradley and Allison will attend the Level II – County competition at the Family Education Center, Onslow County Schools on Friday, April 20, 2012.
Much success to our top two competitors at the next level. Checkout a few pics at the Principal's Blog.