In April 2009, President Obama signed into law the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act which called for an expansion of national service including new resources for Summer of Service (SOS) programs, an initiative to build a network of intensive summer service-learning opportunities for middle and early high school youth. The SOS opportunity provides young people with positive experiences that reinforce community connections, enlivens their education, and strengthens personal and civic values.
Earth Force has partnered with Innovations in Civic Participation to provide 375 youth a unique summer experience in which they get to give back to their communities, learn about and solve community issues, and connect with mentors. New Bridge is proud to host the SOS program this summer and we are looking for young people who are ready to serve and learn.
Funded through Wal-mart at no charge to families, Earth Force is planning programs for the 2012 summer in Jacksonville, NC; Belen, NM; Georgetown, SC; and Denver, CO. In past programs, students have planted gardens, led anti-litter campaigns, contacted government officials, and assessed water quality. We would like to offer our rising 6th graders a Summer of Service opportunity at New Bridge Middle School.
SOS Summary Information
- A five week summer science and service program at New Bridge.
- SOS begins Monday, July 9, 2012; ends Thursday, August 9, 2012.
- Meeting Mondays through Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (150 hours total).
- Project based learning with 5 New Bridge teacher-leaders and community leaders.
- Science and middle school transition activities.
- The program will include projects, field trips, and activities.
Times and dates are tentative at this point. There are a limited number of slots for the program. If you are interested or have any questions about the Summer of Service, contact facilitator Page Buckner at firstname.lastname@example.org .