Onslow County Schools has seen high growth in student population over the last several years which has added to the overcrowding of several schools within the district.
Therefore, student reassignment along with other interim measures will be necessary to reduce overcrowding and maintain the quality of our instructional programs.
To allow time to research and develop various options for redistricting, and inform the community of potential impacts to the schools; staff have been directed to begin a redistricting study.
Essential to the process of redistricting is the establishment of a set of guiding criteria that will guide staff in the development of various options. The guiding criteria for the 2014 redistricting study will be as follows:
- Addressing the crowding at existing schools
- Consider student population growth trends
- Address instructional programming requirements
- Consider transportation efficiency and student travel time
- Geographical relationship of the student's home to the school
- Where possible, maintain cohesive neighborhoods
- Impact on neighborhoods that have been redistricted in the past
Based on these criteria - a recommendation to consider student re-alignment for Richlands High School, Trexler Middle School and Carolina Forest Elementary will be presented to the Board of Education on January 12, 2015 for their consideration. These three schools are extremely overcrowded and there are additional seats available at the surrounding schools. Maps outlining the proposed district lines are available by clicking on the following links:
(1) ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MAP;
(2) MIDDLE SCHOOL MAP and
(3) HIGH SCHOOL MAP.
To provide additional information to the public, two community meetings are being scheduled as follows:
- January 6, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. located at Carolina Forest Elementary
- January 8, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. located at the Nine Mile Community Center
At these sessions, members of the public are invited to review the plans that the Board will consider. In addition to this, a public hearing is scheduled for January 12, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at Blue Creek Elementary School.
You may also send suggestions or recommendations regarding the redistricting study via e-mail at mailto: email@example.com.